- 1 kg beef (skirt/flank/rump/sirloin), cut into 2 cm cubes
- 100 ml sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- ? tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 10 gr tamarind puree
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 cm galangal
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbs palm sugar, ground
- 2 tsp coriander
- salt to taste
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 red hot chillies, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, minced
- Grind all spice paste in a blender or using the traditional mortar and pestle
- Marinate beef with the paste, sweet soy sauce, lime juice and baking powder for 3 hours
- Thread beef onto skewers
- Put skewers over preheated grill until tender and browned, turn over for every 30 seconds to 1 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dipping sauce by mixing all kecap sauce ingredients with kecap manis in a small bowl.
- Serve immediately with the dipping kecap sauce. Pour and mix lime juice to the dipping sauce (optional).