- 450 g beef, finely minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 macadamia nuts, pounded
- 1 tbs ground coconut candy (gula kelapa)
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 16 banana leaves, cut into 18 cm squares
- 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced, discard the yolks
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- salt to taste
- Mix together beef, onion, garlic, nuts, coconut candy, and lime juice.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add ground salt, corriander, cumin, chilli, lemon rind, and ginger root. Cook until tender. Add in beef mixture and coconut oil. Cook on high heat for about 10 minutes, stir 3 times during cooking. Cool, and set aside.
- Put banana leaves on to a plate, heat to soften them.
- Place a slice of egg in the center of a banana leaf. Cover with 1 tbs of meat mixture. Wrap and secure with toothpicks. Continue until all banana leaves are used up.
- Place packets on a dish. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.